#BeautyElevated Spotlight with Elle Strauss: Mother Knows Best
Fashion director, stylist, editor, beauty-junkie, and most importantly, mother. We sat down with British beauty Elle Strauss, to chat about how she balances family and her ever-growing fashion career. Somewhere between editorial spreads and photoshoots, she gave us the rundown on her beauty routine and skincare must-haves, plus baby tips she swears by! Read on to see how motherhood has never been so stylish.
Q: Can you tell us a bit about what a typical day of work looks like for you?
A: It truly varies from day to day - I could be running around prepping for a photo shoot, on location styling and art directing a photo shoot or in-house talking to teams about their brand voice.
Q: What is the most useful piece of advice you have received about motherhood?
A: Don’t panic and attempt to buy everything before you give birth. Shops still exist once you have your baby! It’s actually great to have a reason to leave the house.
Q: How do you balance family time with your busy career?
A: I’m not sure I do! But a great support system is key and then also learning to say no to jobs in lieu of spending time with the family. I won’t lie, it’s not easy. I love to work and I love my family so it’s a constant challenge to find the right balance.
Q: What do you love most about raising your daughters in Los Angeles?
A: The weather! And being able to chuck everything in the car - including the kids! It’s a huge contrast to having to carry everything in New York City, where we lived before.
Q: What does your skincare routine look like?
A: If I’m not feeling rather lazy, here is a breakdown of everything I do:
- I pull my hair back with a Slip Scrunchie, the black skinny ones are my favorite.
- I cleanse with the Bioderma Micellar Water, it’s the most gentle formula and never irritates my eyes
- Then to really clean, the RéVive Foaming Cleanser. It’s rather special because it has these little grains that exfoliate but never leaves my skin feeling tight.
- I pat my face dry and add a spritz of the La Mer Mist.
- Then follow it with a Barbara Sturm serum, it depends on my skin that day so I would use either the Hyaluronic Serum or the Calming Serum.
- I never forget eye cream. The green one from RéVive is my current favorite.
- Barbara Sturm’s Face Cream and Glow Drops to seal in the moisture and give my skin a little extra glow. It’s also great to use throughout the day as a refresh. I’m officially obsessed with Dr. Barbara Sturm because her products produce seriously noticeable results and leave my skin super smooth and clear.
- If I have time I squeeze in the Sisley-Paris Rose Face Mask after cleansing and then do the rest of the steps afterwards.
Q: Do you have a go-to beauty uniform?
A: Of course! I love a natural, but subtle, glam look when I do have a bit of time to get ready.
- First I use my Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation mixed with the Tom Ford Skin Illuminator tapped on with fingers.
- I like to comb my eyebrows with ByTerry’s Eyebrow Mascara to keep it in place.
- Then the Laura Mercier Flawless Concealer for my dark under eye circles - I use a beauty sponge to smooth it in.
- Set it with my holy grail Laura Mercier Translucent Setting powder
- I love an eyeshadow palette with neutrals - Tom Ford’s Nude Dip Eye Quad is the best!
- I rarely leave the house without mascara. The So Intense Mascara from Sisley-Paris is amazing and doesn’t smudge on me.
- Then my favorite Guerlain Bronzer in 01, which is the perfect color for me. Not too dark and not too sparkly.
- I finish off with a flattering lipstick for daytime, which is usually the Clé de Peau Lipstick Cashmere in Flower Power.
Q: What are your latest must-have beauty finds?
A: The Augustinus Bader Rich Cream, Oribe’s Moisture & Control Deep Treatment Masque, Mason Pearson Hair Brush, Barbara Sturm Glow Drops, and of course the Slip Skinny Scrunchies I can’t live without.
Thank you, Elle, for your #beautyelevated tips and your insight on motherhood!
Don’t Miss Out!
We’re celebrating the launch of Cos Bar Labs with Elle Strauss this Mother’s Day! See Elle and discover your new beauty favorites this Thursday, May 9 in our Brentwood store from 11 am - 2 pm. RSVP now at email@example.com. See you there!