A Parisian Getaway to L’Institut Guerlain
Paris is known for iconic fashion, fragrance and skincare houses. And my trip wouldn’t have been complete without paying a visit to one of the most infamous beauty houses in Paris- Guerlain. Having grown up smelling Shalimar and seeing Guerlain products on my mother’s vanity, it’s no surprise that I too grew loyal to the brand. I have more Rouge G’s than I’d like to admit and I can’t go a day without their Terracotta bronzer or Orchidee eye cream. Which is why I was eager to visit La Maison Guerlain at 68, Champs-Elysées. Fountain of youth, here we come!
Just a short walk from the Arc de Triomphe on one of the busiest shopping streets in Paris, the Guerlain boutique is a must-see for fragrance and beauty aficionados. With four floors and 1,000 square meters of selling space, it’s a sight worth seeing. You’ll find yourself enamored by the art collection, technology and precious juices in the shop. The redesigned space weaves together the brand’s history in a creative and modern way. Below were some of my favorite findings:
1. The House of Guerlain originally opened at 68 Champs-Elysées in 1914 to be closer to their nearby factory.
2. The House’s symbol of the bee traces back to Napoleon Bonaparte. Pierre-François-Pascal Guerlain created Eau de Cologne Impériale for the wedding of Empress Eugénie and Emperor Napoleon III. The original bottle bears the Bonaparte family coat of arms and the bees pay tribute to Napoleon himself.
3. Bees are more than just a symbol as the brand invests in and emphasizes sustainability and biodiversity to protect the precious pollinators.
4. The cult favorite Meteorites are handmade by only three artisans who have passed a rigorous training proces
After my tour and history lesson I had the great pleasure of experiencing one of the magical services at L’Institut Guerlain. As one would expect, L’Institut is as grandiose as the rest of the boutique. The waiting room itself is bright and airy and showcases some of the brand’s hero products. I decided to opt for the Parenthèse Teint Parfait, a facial treatment followed by light makeup application. The products used during the facial were mostly from the Orchidée Impériale range. The product line is named after the rare and powerful orchid which helps regenerate the skin. I was excited to see the full effects the Orchidée collection would have on my skin!
The facial itself was extremely peaceful and relaxing. The technique and application of the products was like nothing I had experienced before. When I returned to the waiting room my skin was hydrated, radiant and flawless looking!
But don’t worry if you can’t make it to Paris to experience a facial, we’ve put together an at-home regimen that’ll have you looking as radiant as if you had just stepped out of L’Institut.
- AM: Purify and smooth the skin using the cleansing foam. Next, apply the Super Aqua day cream and serum for ultimate age defying effects. Follow with the Super Aqua eye serum to brighten the eye area. And before makeup be sure to apply the pore minimizer to ensure your skin is looking flawless. Don’t forget to keep your lips looking plump and hydrated all day long!
- PM: Remove your makeup with the cleansing milk and follow with the cleansing foam. Once cleansed be sure to tone and then follow with the brightening serum, eye cream and finish with our favorite Fall/Winter anti-aging face cream.
- One time per week exfoliate with the gommage leaving it on for 5-10 minutes.
- Twice per week use the Super Aqua Mask and you’ll notice your skin is more hydrated and luminous!
Thank you to our friends at Guerlain for making my time in Paris special and extra thank you to Elisabeth for helping curate your new at home routine!
Nina Singh, Senior Director of Planning in Operations