WHAT IS HYALURONIC ACID? EVERYTHING BEHIND THE ULTRA-HYDRATING INGREDIENT
Looking to achieve dewy, hydrated, and supple skin? Look no further as we’re going to share everything behind the wonderworking ingredient, hyaluronic acid. This magical ingredient has become a key component to many skincare and beauty products because of its power to plump, nourish, and deeply hydrate. We’re going to breakdown everything behind hyaluronic acid so by the end of this blog you’ll know exactly how hyaluronic works, the benefits, and ways to incorporate it into your daily routine.
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a sugar molecule that naturally occurs in the skin, and helps bind water to collagen. Basically, it’s a genius at trapping water in the skin and making the complexion more plump and dewy. Hyaluronic acid is also known as HA which is often the definition you will see on your skincare products. HA has a lightweight, watery texture, which absorbs easily into the skin and can hold up to six liters of water. It’s a similar concept to as if your skin drank a glass of water!
Key Reasons for Hydration Loss in the Skin
As our skin matures, the cell turnover rate diminishes which sadly leads to lower levels of hyaluronic acid in our skin. Lower levels of hyaluronic acid leads to sagging, fine lines, and overall diminished levels of elasticity in the skin. Unfortunately, age is not the only factor that causes dehydration in the skin. Other common reasons include weather changes, environmental pollutants, certain skincare products, our diet, or skin conditions that allow water to escape our skin. With so many factors, hyaluronic acid saves the day by relieving the skin from all these elements.
Incorporating Hyaluronic Acid Into Your Skincare Routine
There are many different forms of skincare products that infuse HA so depending on your skin type or concerns, there are plenty of options to choose from!
- Serum - If you’re looking for an everyday serum with a high concentration of hyaluronic acid, we recommend the Dr. Barbara Sturm Hyaluronic Serum. This serum penetrates deep into the skin and replenishes moisture reservoirs for the long term.
- Moisturizer - Our favorite hyaluronic infused moisturizer is the Tata Harper Hyaluronic Gel Moisturizer. This moisturizer has a light-weight formula that restores the skin’s hydration without making it oily.
- On the Go Hydration - For a quick refresh, the Dr. Barbara Sturm Hydrating Face Mist is an amazing pick-me-up for when your skin needs a boost of glow. Dr. Barbara Sturm Hyaluronic Ampoules are great to use after a long flight or temperature fluctuations as the ampoules release a burst of powerful HA.
- Face Mask - If you want to pamper your skin, Patchology - Flash Masque Hydrate 5 Minute Facial is a sheet mask soaked in HA that provides a surge of moisture.
Hyaluronic acid doesn’t have to stop at skincare - many makeup products also contain hyaluronic acid!
- The Cle De Peau Radiant Cream To Powder Foundation SPF 24 is a wonderful foundation that not only provides coverage but leaves the skin feeling velvety smooth by being infused with hyaluronic acid.
- For the perfect natural glow, the Westman Atelier Super Loaded Tinted Highlight is an ultra luxurious cream highlighter that looks stunning on any complexion. As the name of the highlighter implies, it is incredibly loaded with not only hyaluronic acid but caper extract, and organic jojoba oil.
- Another must-have is the Sisley Paris Le Phyto Rouge Long-lasting Hydrating Lipstick. It gives a burst of stunning color but feels more like a lip balm with it’s hydrating factors.
Don’t Forget the Neck
The skin on your neck is one of the first places to show signs of aging, but oftentimes it is an area that gets neglected or forgotten during one's skincare routine. To give your neck some love that it deserves, the Natura Bisse Inhibit Tensolift Neck Mask is the perfect solution for some extra TLC. This neck mask instantly minimizes fine lines, improves firmness, and evens out the skin tone.
Hyaluronic acid can also be used for the hair! The Oribe Power Drops Hydration & Pollution Booster is a super concentrated treatment that’s infused with HA and protects hair against environmental pollutants
Glowing from Within
Since the body and skin naturally possess hyaluronic acid, you can also boost your HA levels from within with supplements.
- HUM Glow Sweet Glow is a vegan gummy that contains HA, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C. Not only does it work wonders for your skin, but also tastes delicious!
- The Nue Co. Skin Hydrator is a pill supplement that brightens the skin with each capsule containing collagen, aloe vera leaf, and HA to support hydration from within.
The Do’s and Don'ts of Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is easy to integrate into your overall routine because it’s compatible with many ingredients found in skincare, cosmetics, supplements, or haircare.
Important tip: HA must be used on damp skin! It’s a moisture magnet so it will absorb the water you put on your skin, if the skin is not damp then the HA might pull moisture from deep inside your skin, which could end up drawing out your natural moisture. Remember that when applying your products! Using a humidifier in drier climates will also boost the effectiveness of your HA.
Hyaluronic acid can be used with:
- Vitamins A, B, and C
- Most acids
Don’t mix your hyaluronic acid with:
- Acids with low pH value such as glycolic acid. Acids with low pH value will make the HA ineffective.
Is Hyaluronic Acid for You?
Still unsure if hyaluronic acid is right for you? We’re excited to let you know that hyaluronic acid is generally safe to use on ALL skin types! Even for those who have sensitive skin or struggle with acne-prone breakouts, HA will have benefits for these skin conditions as well. HA usually does not provoke irritation, acne breakouts, Rosacea, or allergic reactions, and it can be applied daily.
Have you fallen in love with hyaluronic acid yet? From skincare, makeup, supplements, to haircare, the options to incorporate the magical properties of hyaluronic acid into your daily routine is endless! We hope that you will love the amazing benefits of hyaluronic acid as much as we do! Cheers to feeling and looking hydrated and glowing!
SHOP OUR FAVORITES